Indian govt. responsible for 30-year war in Sri Lanka - Gotabaya
April 10, 2013 12:43 pm
Had the then
Indian government acted with responsibility, Sri Lanka wouldn’t have
experienced a 30-year war, Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa said yesterday,
according to the Government Information Department.
People of all
communities would have been still suffering horrors of war, if not for the
eradication of terrorism in May 2009, following a three-year combined security
forces campaign, the Defence Secretary said, noting that India could never
absolve itself of the responsibility for creating terrorism here, though some
of those directly involved in subverting Sri Lanka were blaming the Rajapaksa
administration for the plight of Tamil speaking people here.
He was responding
to former Indian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Hardeep Singh
Puri.
Puri had been directly involved in the Indian operation against the then JRJ
government in the run-up to the July 1987 Indo-Lanka Accord, Rajapaksa said,
alleging that he was one of those aware of the Indian operations here.
The Defence
Secretary said that both Hardeep S. Puri and his wife, Lakshmi had been
attached to India’s mission in Colombo during the tenure of J. N. Dixit as
India’s High Commissioner here.
Puri had now
called for an investigation into what he called specific allegations of war
crimes during the last 100 days of military operations. Those demanding
accountability on Sri Lanka’s part for alleged atrocities committed during the
last 100 days of the conflict were silent on the origin of terrorism here, the
Defence Secretary said.
Rajapaksa said
that Puri should realize that the Indian intervention here had caused a major
regional crisis, when Indian trained Sri Lankan terrorists raided the Maldives
in early November 1988. The international community should consider a
comprehensive investigation into the issue beginning with the Indian
intervention, he added.
India’s former Permanent
Representative could help the investigation by revealing what was going on at
that time.
The defence
Secretary pointed out that Dixit, in his memoirs published during his tenure as
the Foreign Secretary, had acknowledged that arming Sri Lankan Tamil youth was
one of the two major policy blunders of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
Commenting on Puri’s
allegation that he (Rajapaksa) wanted to do away with the provincial council
system and criticism on recent attacks on Muslims in Colombo, the Defence
Secretary said that the Indian official couldn’t be unaware of what the
Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik had said before he slaughtered 70 men,
women and children. Breivik declared that he wanted the drive out Muslims out
of Europe the way northern Sri Lanka was cleansed of Muslims during 1990. The
Norwegian was referring to massacres carried out by the LTTE during President
Premadasa’s administration.
The Defence
Secretary said that those critical of the Sri Lankan government should peruse
former Indian Foreign Secretary Kanwal Sibal’s recent piece to India Today.
The LTTE had used
children as cannon fodder and Prabhakaran had forced the Tamil National
Alliance (TNA) to recognize the LTTE as the sole representative of Tamil
speaking people. The TNA couldn’t even finalize its candidates’ list for
parliamentary polls without Prabhakaran’s approval, the Defence Secretary said,
alleging some interested parties were reluctant to acknowledge the fact that
Sri Lanka was a much better place today without the LTTE.
He was responding
to former Indian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Hardeep Singh
Puri.
Puri had been
directly involved in the Indian operation against the then JRJ government in
the run-up to the July 1987 Indo-Lanka Accord, Rajapaksa said, alleging that he
was one of those aware of he Indian operations here.
