All 77 stranded contractual workers return from Sri Lanka: Swaraj

All 77 stranded contractual workers return from Sri Lanka: Swaraj

March 12, 2015   08:36 pm

All 77 Indian workers left stranded in Sri Lanka following a labour dispute there have since returned to the country, Indian External Affairs minister Sushma Swaraj informed the Rajya Sabha today.

Replying to a query during Question Hour, the Minister said she had spoken to the Lankan authorities regarding the predicament of the stranded workers who were not being paid wages and their return was arranged for them in batches.

“Such cases are generally reported by blacklisted companies that route workers through unauthorised agencies,” she said.

Asked by Renuka Chowdhury, Congress, as to what measures the government was contemplating to prevent  recurrence of similar cases, Ms Swaraj said the Centre had written to the Karnataka and Rajasthan governments where these recruitments had been made and asked them to initiate stringent action against the company. - Day & Night News

Disclaimer: All the comments will be moderated by the AD editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or slanderous. Please avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment and avoid typing all capitalized comments. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by flagging them(mouse over a comment and click the flag icon on the right side). Do use these forums to voice your opinions and create healthy discourse.

Most Viewed Video Stories

LIVE🔴 Ada Derana Midday Prime News Bulletin

LIVE🔴 Ada Derana Midday Prime News Bulletin

Police identify four suspects in Akuregoda shooting; Major operation underway to nab perpetrators (English)

Several factions vehemently oppose CEB's proposal to increase electricity tariffs (English)

Bar Association members decide to refrain from appearing in courts tomorrow (English)

Maha Shivaratri celebrated with devotion; Religious rituals held at Kovils across Sri Lanka (English)

Ada Derana Lunch Time News Bulletin 12.00 pm

Govt continues to mislead the people, Opposition Leader claims on underworld tensions (English)

CEB proposes 13.56% increase in electricity tariffs for second quarter of 2026 (English)