Government grants approval to construct breakwater of Colombo Port City
March 19, 2015 03:19 pm
Sri Lanka’s cabinet on Wednesday approved the construction of a breakwater for a Chinese funded port city project which had been suspended by the government earlier this month.
Cabinet Spokesperson and Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne told has Xinhua news agency that the decision was taken, following a request made by Prime Minister Ranil Wickremasinghe, when the cabinet convened for its weekly meeting Wednesday evening.
The entire project had been suspended by the new government which took office in January after concerns were raised over some aspects of the project.
However, Sri Lanka’s Ports, Shipping and Aviation Minister Arjuna Ranatunga said earlier Wednesday that approval had been given to allow part of the project to continue in order to prevent damage from heavy rains and sea erosion.
Following this, the cabinet which met Wednesday evening had gone further by allowing the construction of the breakwater which further reduces any damage to the project. “The request to construct the breakwater had been put forward to the cabinet by Prime Minister Wickremesinghe. Therefore cabinet approval was granted,” the minister said.
He further said that the prime minister had asked for the necessary reports and documents over the Port City to be submitted to the subcommittee soon in order to decide the future of the project. “Only once the necessary documents are submitted will the prime minister decide on the future of the project,” the minister said.