President Sirisena meets former President at Parliament
May 6, 2015 01:52 pm
President Maithripala Sirisena and former President Mahinda Rajapaksa arrived at the Parliament and much awaited discussions were held on Wednesday (6) morning.
Political experts suggested that President Sirisena and former President Rajapaksa are to discuss a range of ticklish political issues when they meet at the parliament.
A leading member of the Rajapaksa has told on Tuesday (5) that the talks will not be “one on one” but between two delegations, one headed by Rajapaksa and the other by Sirisena. The Rajapaksa group has sent its agenda for the meeting to Sirisena, and is awaiting a response.
UPDATE: The first round meeting between the President and former President Rjapaksa has been concluded successfully, Minister Duminda Dissanayake said.
Discussions were held to address the issues of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP), said Dissanayake.
Meanwhile, SLFP General Secretary Anura Priyadarshana Yapa issuing a statement said that five key topics were discussed during the meeting. The key topics are as following...
- Who will be the Prime Ministerial candidate at the election
- The terms of the local governmental bodies
- Nominations at the election
- The activities of the Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID)
- Contest under the United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) at the election