Energy Minister briefs CPC and CPSTL unions on Cabinet decision

Energy Minister briefs CPC and CPSTL unions on Cabinet decision

July 2, 2022   10:00 pm

Minister of Power and Energy Kanchana Wijesekera today held a discussion with the representatives of the trade unions from Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (CPC) and Ceylon Petroleum Storage Terminals Limited (CPSTL).

The minister said he briefed the trade union leaders on the Cabinet proposal that was approved last Monday (June 27) and the cargo plan for July/August.

In a tweet, he also said that the proposal to invite oil producing companies to import fuel and operate retail sales was explained to the trade union reps.

On Monday, the Cabinet of Ministers approved the proposal presented by the Minister of Power and Energy to provide long term agreements with selected companies following the formal procedure, allowing them to import, distribute and market fuel to Sri Lanka.

The Ceylon Petroleum Corporation contributes around 90% of the total fuel supply to the country while the remaining 10% is supplied by the Lanka Indian Oil Company (LIOC). 

The government says ensuring an uninterrupted fuel supply to the country has become a challenge due to the current foreign exchange crisis in Sri Lanka.

“Therefore, it seems appropriate to enter into long-term agreements with oil companies in the oil-producing countries to enable them to import and sell fuel using their funds so as not to put pressure on the country’s foreign exchange problem,” it had said. 

Disclaimer: All the comments will be moderated by the AD editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or slanderous. Please avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment and avoid typing all capitalized comments. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by flagging them(mouse over a comment and click the flag icon on the right side). Do use these forums to voice your opinions and create healthy discourse.

Most Viewed Video Stories

LIVE🔴Ada Derana Late Night News Bulletin 10.00 pm

LIVE🔴Ada Derana Late Night News Bulletin 10.00 pm

Sri Lanka's net debt per capita rapidly on the rise

Books authored by student during Covid-19 pandemic launched under'Ratak Watina Pothak'

Fuel supply to 12 filling stations suspended for ignoring guidelines

'Jungle law' cannot resolve corruption - Defence Secretary

Agriculture Minister assures farmers that paddy prices will increase

Police to obtain detention orders on 3 including IUSF’s Wasantha Mudalige

LIVE🔴Ada Derana Prime Time News Bulletin 6.55 pm