header logo
SLIC
Rhythms of Lanka
Science & Tech
YouTube says it will comply with Australia’s teen social media ban
Dec 03, 202502:03 PM
YouTube says it will comply with Australia’s teen social media ban
Mobitel inner 1278

Google’s YouTube shared a “disappointing update” to millions of Australian users and content creators on Wednesday, saying it will comply with a world-first teen social media ban by locking out users aged under 16 from their accounts within days.

 

The decision ends a stand-off between the internet giant and the Australian government which initially exempted YouTube from the age restriction, citing its use for educational purposes. Google had said it was getting legal advice about how to respond to being included.

 

“Viewers must now be 16 or older to sign into YouTube,” the company said in a statement.

 

“This is a disappointing update to share. This law will not fulfill its promise to make kids safer online and will, in fact, make Australian kids less safe on YouTube.”

 

The Australian ban is being closely watched by other jurisdictions considering similar age-based measures, setting up a potential global precedent for how the mostly U.S. tech giants behind the biggest platforms balance child safety with access to digital services.

 

The Australian government says the measure responds to mounting evidence that platforms are failing to do enough to protect children from harmful content.

 

SIGNED OUT

 

YouTube said any user aged under 16 would be automatically signed out of their account from December 10, meaning they could no longer subscribe, like or comment on posts although they could still view content logged out.

 

That meant underage content creators also could not log in or post. YouTube did not say how it would verify someone’s age.

 

The company also reiterated its position that the ban would not make the internet safer, and said in an email to caregivers of underage users that “parental controls only work when your pre-teen or teen is signed in, so the settings you’ve chosen will no longer apply”.

 

Communications Minister Anika Wells, speaking to reporters in Canberra, said it was “weird that YouTube is always at pains to remind us all how unsafe their platform is in a logged out state”.

 

“If YouTube is reminding us all that it is not safe and there’s content not appropriate for age-restricted users on their website, that’s a problem that YouTube needs to fix.”

 

The law prohibits platforms from allowing under-16s to hold accounts, with penalties of up to A$49.5 million ($32.5 million) for breaches. Meta’s Facebook and Instagram, TikTok and Snap’s Snapchat previously said they would comply.

 

Of the platforms named by the government as being covered by the ban, only Elon Musk’s X and message board Reddit have not publicly committed to abide by the law.

 

Wells, asked about reports of lesser-known social media apps growing in popularity, said the tech industry was “dynamic” and the government’s list of affected platforms “will need to expand as different platforms receive migratory patterns”.

 

YouTube has 325,000 accounts held by Australians aged 13 to 15, according to regulator the eSafety Commissioner, behind only Snapchat which has 440,000 and Instagram which has 350,000 in that age range.

 

eSafety has said more than one-third of Australians aged 10 to 15 have reported seeing harmful content on YouTube, the worst of any platform.

 

Source: Reuters

 

--Agencies

 

 

 

MostRead
Mobitel 1278
VideoStories
Former President Ranil’s facts, data and interpretations are incorrect - Minister Anil Jayantha

Former President Ranil’s facts, data and interpretations are incorrect - Minister Anil Jayantha

Health officials warn public that prolonged heat exposure could be fatal

Health officials warn public that prolonged heat exposure could be fatal

 "Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

"Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

 BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

 22nd Amendment tabled in Parliament by Justice Minister amidst strong opposition

22nd Amendment tabled in Parliament by Justice Minister amidst strong opposition

Bank officials nabbed over US$ 1B Undiyal scheme; Court hears how dollars were transferred overseas

Bank officials nabbed over US$ 1B Undiyal scheme; Court hears how dollars were transferred overseas

 Search continues for missing sailor at Angulana coast for third day; Vessel recovery also delayed

Search continues for missing sailor at Angulana coast for third day; Vessel recovery also delayed

 “Call an election soon or popularity could fall further” Opposition on Govt.’s falling popularity

“Call an election soon or popularity could fall further” Opposition on Govt.’s falling popularity

Don’t be arrogant. Pay attention to the concerns raised by Chief Prelates” — Sajith tells Govt.

Don’t be arrogant. Pay attention to the concerns raised by Chief Prelates” — Sajith tells Govt.

 Can India and Pakistan find common ground ? - Pakistan High Commissioner in Colombo on Hyde Park

Can India and Pakistan find common ground ? - Pakistan High Commissioner in Colombo on Hyde Park

 Sri Lanka Navy vessel located on seabed off Angulana after hours-long search by specialist divers

Sri Lanka Navy vessel located on seabed off Angulana after hours-long search by specialist divers

 Sri Lanka Entrepreneurs Night 2026 held in Melbourne; Australia-based Lankans urged to invest in SL

Sri Lanka Entrepreneurs Night 2026 held in Melbourne; Australia-based Lankans urged to invest in SL

 Warm weather advisory issued for several districts; Drought ravages farmlands across the county

Warm weather advisory issued for several districts; Drought ravages farmlands across the county

 72-hour detention order issued against drug trafficker Shiran Basik

72-hour detention order issued against drug trafficker Shiran Basik

Lassana Flora