header logo
SLIC
Rhythms of Lanka
Science & Tech
Google rivals line up seeking damages after record $1 billion fine
Jul 28, 202612:09 PM
Google rivals line up seeking damages after record $1 billion fine
Mobitel inner 1278

A decades-long crackdown on Google's business practices in Europe is entering a costly new phase, as the loss of the first case brought against it under new EU legislation opens the door to a wave of private lawsuits ​demanding up to $10 billion in damages.

 

Having already absorbed billions of dollars in EU fines since 2017, Alphabet's search giant is now facing lawsuits from smaller rivals across ‌Europe, according to half a dozen lawyers and litigation financiers, and a tally of cases filed in half a dozen countries.

 

That has been precipitated by a $1 billion fine, the first under the Digital Markets Act, imposed on the company for favouring its own services and preventing app developers from steering users to cheaper options outside its app store Google Play.

 

That finding of ongoing wrongdoing may embolden more parties to sue, lawyers say. "I think this will trigger a ​new wave of litigation," said Thomas Hoppner, a partner at Geradin Partners, which advised German price comparison platform Idealo for market abuse.

 

A Berlin court in November awarded Idealo €465 million ($528.9 ​million) in damages, the biggest fine ever awarded by a court in Germany for an antitrust infringement.

 

Specialised search firms "may seek damages, possibly not just ⁠for the period of the DMA but also for the years prior to the DMA breaches" under Article 102, Hoppner added, referring to older EU legislation prohibiting companies from abusing a dominant ​market position.

 

Google said there is no merit in the claims.

 

"We strongly disagree with these lawsuits, which are brought by companies looking for a payout instead of investing in their own products," a Google ​spokesperson said.

 

SHOPPING AROUND

 

The damages claims come as Google's AI spending spree has left it burning cash, with Alphabet's free cash flow negative in the second quarter for the first time as a public company.

 

They also come on top of €10.4 billion EU-led fines on Google over the last decade as regulators take a harsh stance on Big Tech. The private cases are at different stages, and more are being prepared and yet to be filed, according to lawyers ​and litigation financing firms.

 

When Google started pushing its own comparison shopping service in search results in 2008, traffic to rival price comparison sites plunged, triggering complaints and an EU probe that produced ​a €2.42 billion fine in 2017.

 

Google fought the ruling before losing at Europe's top court last year.

 

Britain's Foundem pursued its claim from the start. Sweden's PriceRunner, backed by Klarna (KLAR.N), opens new tab, filed a multibillion-dollar suit in 2022 after Google's ‌appeal was ⁠rejected.

 

UK price comparison site Kelkoo, which is seeking billions of pounds from Google in various damages claims after the EU decision against Google's shopping service, said the latest EU fines could boost ongoing claims.

 

"We expect these to be impacted somewhat by the DMA decision because it shows that Google is still self-referencing even to this day," Kelkoo CEO Richard Stables told Reuters, adding the DMA decision gave others more ground to sue.

 

Matej Pardo, chief operating officer at litigation financing firm LitFin, which is backing two groups suing Google in Amsterdam for its shopping auctions, seeking over $1 billion combined, echoed the ​sentiment.

 

"There are already a lot of these claims ​being filed, and probably more that are (being) ⁠prepared," he said.

 

Italy's Moltiply Group, which operates price comparison website Trovaprezzi.it, is seeking €2.97 billion.

 

MORE FINES, MORE CLAIMS

 

Google's fines last week were the fifth and sixth overall for anti-competitive practices. Last month, Google lost a long-running fight against a record €4.1 billion EU fine for using its Android mobile operating system to block ​rivals.

 

Marco Pescarmona, chairman of Moltiply Group, one of the complainants against Google, said the recent DMA decision will bolster damage claims, though he ​questions Brussels' willingness to fully ⁠use the law to eradicate self-favouring if non-compliance continues.

 

"The DMA is a very good piece of legislation. The defect maybe is that it's so effective that they're afraid to use it," he said.

 

Google, meanwhile, is counting on time working in its favour, lawyers said, given cases can drag on for years. It may yet challenge the fine imposed under the DMA.

 

In the shopping suit, nearly two decades passed between ⁠the alleged abuses ​and Google's exhausted appeals.

 

"By that time, they've already monopolised many markets," said LitFin's Pardo, calling the fines "a cost of ​doing business", adding wait times could be up to eight years.

 

In the PriceRunner case, a Stockholm court in July ordered Google to pay roughly $1.97 billion including interest — a ruling Klarna welcomed, but does not expect to collect on soon.

 

"We can expect ​an appeal to take over a year, and likely years," Klarna's counsel Pontus Scherp said.

 

Source: Reuters

 

--Agencies 

 

 

MostRead
Mobitel 1278
VideoStories
Former President Ranil’s facts, data and interpretations are incorrect - Minister Anil Jayantha

Former President Ranil’s facts, data and interpretations are incorrect - Minister Anil Jayantha

Health officials warn public that prolonged heat exposure could be fatal

Health officials warn public that prolonged heat exposure could be fatal

 "Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

"Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

 BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

 22nd Amendment tabled in Parliament by Justice Minister amidst strong opposition

22nd Amendment tabled in Parliament by Justice Minister amidst strong opposition

Bank officials nabbed over US$ 1B Undiyal scheme; Court hears how dollars were transferred overseas

Bank officials nabbed over US$ 1B Undiyal scheme; Court hears how dollars were transferred overseas

 Search continues for missing sailor at Angulana coast for third day; Vessel recovery also delayed

Search continues for missing sailor at Angulana coast for third day; Vessel recovery also delayed

 “Call an election soon or popularity could fall further” Opposition on Govt.’s falling popularity

“Call an election soon or popularity could fall further” Opposition on Govt.’s falling popularity

Don’t be arrogant. Pay attention to the concerns raised by Chief Prelates” — Sajith tells Govt.

Don’t be arrogant. Pay attention to the concerns raised by Chief Prelates” — Sajith tells Govt.

 Can India and Pakistan find common ground ? - Pakistan High Commissioner in Colombo on Hyde Park

Can India and Pakistan find common ground ? - Pakistan High Commissioner in Colombo on Hyde Park

 Sri Lanka Navy vessel located on seabed off Angulana after hours-long search by specialist divers

Sri Lanka Navy vessel located on seabed off Angulana after hours-long search by specialist divers

 Sri Lanka Entrepreneurs Night 2026 held in Melbourne; Australia-based Lankans urged to invest in SL

Sri Lanka Entrepreneurs Night 2026 held in Melbourne; Australia-based Lankans urged to invest in SL

 Warm weather advisory issued for several districts; Drought ravages farmlands across the county

Warm weather advisory issued for several districts; Drought ravages farmlands across the county

 72-hour detention order issued against drug trafficker Shiran Basik

72-hour detention order issued against drug trafficker Shiran Basik

Lassana Flora