header logo
SLIC
Rhythms of Lanka
Latest
US military may require some troops in Mideast to surrender cell phones, sources say
Jul 29, 202607:40 PM
US military may require some troops in Mideast to surrender cell phones, sources say
Mobitel inner 1278

The top U.S. commander for the Middle East has warned troops that cellphone videos shared online can ​help Iran target American bases, and sources told Reuters some deployed personnel could soon be ordered to surrender their phones.

 

Any crackdown on mobile communications would add a new dimension ‌to the conflict for the thousands of U.S. troops in the region, many of whom still rely on phones to periodically message loved ones and assure them they are well.

 

Admiral Brad Cooper, in a previously unreported letter, said Iran was benefiting from being able to see the success or failure of its strikes in near real-time by searching news reports or online posts by journalists referencing "reactions, photos, and footage from the cellphones of our troops."

 

"The direct, unavoidable cost of this open-source intelligence could be measured ​in the lives of American service members and civilian residents in targeted Gulf countries," Cooper, head of U.S. Central Command, wrote in his July 28 letter, a copy of which was obtained by Reuters.

 

He ​called on troops to "redouble our focus on operational security," without prescribing specific steps in the memo.

 

The warning underscored the mounting tensions between real-time news reporting on the war, often aided by satellite imagery and first-person accounts, and the desire by the U.S. military to restrict any information that could aid Iran as it tries to kill and wound U.S. troops.

 

In Jordan, which ​has been a frequent target of Iranian strikes, some troops have been told their phones will be confiscated in the coming days, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

 

A third source said such a move was ​being considered in the region due to operational security concerns but did not present the confiscation as a certainty.

 

Asked for comment, U.S. Central Command spokesperson Captain Timothy Hawkins said: "The message is a general reminder to our service members on the importance of maintaining operational security. This is one of many opportunities Admiral Cooper has used to convey operational priorities."

 

RUNNING FOR SHELTER DURING IRAN ATTACK

 

In a video posted online this month, a U.S. service member recorded a video as soldiers ran for shelter ​during a deadly Iranian attack on the Muwaffaq Salti Air Base in Jordan on July 17.

 

Cooper appeared to reference the footage in his letter, saying it had been recorded on Meta smart glasses with a built-in ​camera.

 

"Video captured from a service member's Meta glasses was posted on Instagram showing where and how the individual had evacuated to a bunker during an Iranian missile and drone attack," Cooper wrote.

 

Iran would normally have a tough time determining ‌the success or failure of its strikes, were it not for such accounts, Cooper said, thanks to the U.S. military's electronic jamming or other tactics used in war zones.

 

"Iran knows the weapons were fired; however, their forces do not know if they missed by 50 meters, hit an empty tarmac, or successfully struck a crowded facility," he wrote. "Detailed lists, descriptions, and analyses of what was hit, openly published by news outlets are essentially performing Iran’s Battle Damage Assessment (BDA) for them, free of charge," Cooper said.

 

Some 18 U.S. troops have died in the conflict with Iran that started on Feb. 28 and more than 600 have been wounded in the fighting, casualties that have ​deepened Americans' concerns about a war that just one ​in three Americans support.

 

Democratic lawmakers have called for more information about the war, including details about damage to U.S. infrastructure on bases including radar towers, barracks and aircraft hangars. They have also called for the release of a U.S. military investigation into a likely U.S. strike on a girls' school in Iran, first reported by Reuters, on the opening day of the war on Feb. ​28.

 

CELL PHONES BEING TAKEN?

 

Rules surrounding cell phone use for deployed troops can vary widely across the military, officials say. Many troops have to lock them ​away and cell phones can be banned on particularly sensitive missions by special operations forces, for example.

 

But the possible seizure of phones has stoked anxiety among some family members, already on edge in recent months as they read Iranian claims of deadly strikes on bases throughout the Middle East, two of the sources said.

 

U.S. officials have cautioned for years that certain applications on mobile devices, like fitness applications, can be exploited by adversaries to aid adversary targeting because of location data.

 

Reuters reported in May that commercially available location data harvested from smartphones or other devices has been used to target or surveil U.S. forces.

 

At the same time, the ​Pentagon has sought to carefully control the release of information due to what it says are operational security concerns, often declining to comment on Iran's attack claims or detail individual incidents that led to injuries of U.S. troops.

 

Cooper said details on strikes can help ​Iran mount follow-up attacks.

 

"Detailed public disclosures can become an immediate green light for Iranian forces to launch a secondary, much more devastating wave of attacks," he said.

 

Source: Reuters

-Agencies 

MostRead
Mobitel 1278
VideoStories
 "Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

"Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

 BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

 22nd Amendment tabled in Parliament by Justice Minister amidst strong opposition

22nd Amendment tabled in Parliament by Justice Minister amidst strong opposition

Bank officials nabbed over US$ 1B Undiyal scheme; Court hears how dollars were transferred overseas

Bank officials nabbed over US$ 1B Undiyal scheme; Court hears how dollars were transferred overseas

 Search continues for missing sailor at Angulana coast for third day; Vessel recovery also delayed

Search continues for missing sailor at Angulana coast for third day; Vessel recovery also delayed

 “Call an election soon or popularity could fall further” Opposition on Govt.’s falling popularity

“Call an election soon or popularity could fall further” Opposition on Govt.’s falling popularity

Don’t be arrogant. Pay attention to the concerns raised by Chief Prelates” — Sajith tells Govt.

Don’t be arrogant. Pay attention to the concerns raised by Chief Prelates” — Sajith tells Govt.

 Can India and Pakistan find common ground ? - Pakistan High Commissioner in Colombo on Hyde Park

Can India and Pakistan find common ground ? - Pakistan High Commissioner in Colombo on Hyde Park

 Sri Lanka Navy vessel located on seabed off Angulana after hours-long search by specialist divers

Sri Lanka Navy vessel located on seabed off Angulana after hours-long search by specialist divers

 Sri Lanka Entrepreneurs Night 2026 held in Melbourne; Australia-based Lankans urged to invest in SL

Sri Lanka Entrepreneurs Night 2026 held in Melbourne; Australia-based Lankans urged to invest in SL

 Warm weather advisory issued for several districts; Drought ravages farmlands across the county

Warm weather advisory issued for several districts; Drought ravages farmlands across the county

 72-hour detention order issued against drug trafficker Shiran Basik

72-hour detention order issued against drug trafficker Shiran Basik

 Govt plans to push country towards authoritarianism – Opposition Leader

Govt plans to push country towards authoritarianism – Opposition Leader

 Sri Lanka Navy vessel in distress off Angulana; 11 personnel rescued

Sri Lanka Navy vessel in distress off Angulana; 11 personnel rescued

Lassana Flora