
Claims circulating on social media that an LTTE terrorist training camp is operating inside the Pallai forest reserve are completely false, Cabinet Spokesman Minister Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa asserted today (18).
Responding to a question at the weekly Cabinet media briefing, Minister Jayatissa said there is no LTTE camp or terrorist training facility at the location referred to in the social media reports.
According to the Minister, what has actually taken place is the unauthorised clearing of part of a forest reserve by an individual, followed by the construction of a multi-storey building. Information gathered so far indicates that a garment manufacturing facility is being operated at the site with the participation of people from the surrounding area.
Minister Jayatissa said legal action has already been taken against the individual over the unauthorised clearing of the forest, with seven cases filed against him.
He said the area had been declared a forest reserve under Gazette No. 70/64 dated November 17, 1919. Reports of unauthorised forest clearing in the area have been received since 2025.
Information regarding the construction of a three-storey building was reported in January 2026, while subsequent reports indicate that the building now has four floors. The Forest Range Office has conducted several raids in connection with the activities, resulting in seven cases being filed against the owner.
According to the Minister, the individual initially cleared approximately 10 acres of the reserve and later expanded the cleared area to around 20 acres, where aloe vera and vegetables were reportedly being cultivated.
The Kilinochchi Magistrate’s Court issued an order on February 6, 2026, prohibiting entry to the land. Although an application was subsequently made on February 17 to have the order lifted, the restriction remains in place. The next court hearing is scheduled for August 25.
The Minister also said police had filed a separate case relating to the unauthorised excavation and transportation of sand using tractors and other machinery.
On July 24, 2026, the owner and eight other individuals were arrested for allegedly obstructing Forest Department officials in the execution of their duties. The operation was conducted with the assistance of the Special Task Force (STF), he said.
The suspects were subsequently granted bail by court, with further proceedings scheduled for a later date.
Minister Jayatissa stressed that the allegations of an LTTE training camp had been fabricated based on these incidents.
He said the owner had also submitted documents to court claiming ownership rights to the land, and that those claims are currently being examined.
Minister Jayatissa added that legal action is now being pursued against those responsible for spreading false reports claiming that an LTTE training camp was operating at the site.





















