Eight Sri Lankan safely evacuated from Yemen

Eight Sri Lankan safely evacuated from Yemen

April 3, 2015   02:59 pm

-

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs today announced that three Sri Lankans have already Yemen and that another five are currently on their way to Djibouti via sea.  

The ministry said that the three Lankans had reached Djibouti on board an Indonesian boat.

China and India have agreed to assist in evacuating Sri Lankan nationals stranded in Yemen following requests made by the Government of Sri Lanka, considering the prevailing volatile situation in the Arab nation.

New Delhi has agreed to help Colombo rescue 67 Sri Lankans stranded in Yemen, officials said on Thursday.

Officials in Colombo said the evacuation of Sri Lankans would begin immediately after the completion of Indian nationals’ airlift.

Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ajith P. Perera, had last week instructed the Lankan High Commissioner in New Delhi and the embassy in Muscat, Oman, to liaise with India’s ministry of external affairs and the Indian embassies in Muscat and Sana’a to coordinate the evacuation process.

There are reportedly around 75-100 Sri Lankan expatriates, including students, in Yemen.

Due to the volatile situation in the country, Sri Lanka is making arrangements to evacuate all Sri Lankans in Yemen, who are principally residing in the capital Sanaa and other main cities, such as Hodeida, Aden and Mukalla.

 

Disclaimer: All the comments will be moderated by the AD editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or slanderous. Please avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment and avoid typing all capitalized comments. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by flagging them(mouse over a comment and click the flag icon on the right side). Do use these forums to voice your opinions and create healthy discourse.

Most Viewed Video Stories