header logo
SLIC
Latest
Vice President JD Vance says talks with Iran have ended after 21 hours without reaching agreement
Apr 12, 202607:30 AM
Vice President JD Vance says talks with Iran have ended after 21 hours without reaching agreement
Mobitel inner 1278

U.S. Vice President JD Vance said negotiations have ended early Sunday between the U.S. and Iran without a peace deal after the Iranians refused to accept American terms to not develop a nuclear weapon.

 

The high-stakes talks ended after 21 hours, Vance said, with the vice president in constant communication with U.S. President Donald Trump and others in the administration.

 

“But the simple fact is that we need to see an affirmative commitment that they will not seek a nuclear weapon, and they will not seek the tools that would enable them to quickly achieve a nuclear weapon,” Vance told reporters. “That is the core goal of the president of the United States. And that’s what we’ve tried to achieve through these negotiations.”

 

The United States and Iran concluded a third round of historic, face-to-face negotiations before dawn Sunday in Pakistan, days after a fragile, two-week ceasefire was announced, as the war that has killed thousands of people and shaken global markets entered its seventh week. Two Pakistani officials said discussions between the heads of the delegations will resume after a break.

 

Some technical personnel from both teams are still meeting, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the press.

 

Meanwhile, the U.S. military said two destroyers transited the Iran-gripped Strait of Hormuz ahead of mine-clearing work, a first since the war began. Iran’s state media, however, said the joint military command denied that.

 

“We’re sweeping the strait. Whether we make a deal or not makes no difference to me,” Trump told journalists as talks continued and the time approached 2 a.m. in Islamabad. He called negotiations “very deep.” Iranian state TV noted what it called “serious” differences.

 

The U.S. delegation led by Vice President JD Vance and the Iranian one led by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf discussed with Pakistan how to advance the ceasefire already threatened by deep disagreements and Israel’s continued attacks against the Iranian-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon, whose health ministry said the death toll has surpassed 2,000.

 

Since the Islamic Revolution in Iran in 1979, the most direct U.S. contact had been in 2013 when President Barack Obama called newly elected President Hassan Rouhani to discuss Iran’s nuclear program. Obama’s secretary of state, John Kerry, and counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif later met during negotiations toward the 2015 Iran nuclear deal — a process that lasted well over a year.

 

Now the far broader talks feature Vance, a reluctant defender of the war who has little diplomatic experience and warned Iran not to “try and play us,” and Qalibaf, a former commander with Iran’s powerful Revolutionary Guard who has issued some of Iran’s most fiery statements since fighting began.

 

Iran sets ‘red lines’ including compensation for strikes

 

Iran’s state-run news agency said the three-party talks began after Iranian preconditions, including a reduction in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, were met.

 

Iran’s delegation told state television it had presented “red lines” in meetings with Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, including compensation for damage caused by U.S.-Israeli strikes that launched the war on Feb. 28 and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.

 

The war has killed at least 3,000 people in Iran, 2,020 in Lebanon, 23 in Israel and more than a dozen in Gulf Arab states, and caused lasting damage to infrastructure in half a dozen Middle Eastern countries. Iran’s grip on the Strait of Hormuz has largely cut off the Persian Gulf and its oil and gas exports from the global economy, sending energy prices soaring.

 

Reflecting the high stakes, officials from the region said Chinese, Egyptian, Saudi and Qatari officials were in Islamabad to indirectly facilitate talks. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive matter.

 

In Tehran, residents told The Associated Press they were skeptical yet hopeful after weeks of airstrikes left destruction across their country of some 93 million people.

 

“Peace alone is not enough for our country because we’ve been hit very hard, there have been huge costs,” 62-year-old Amir Razzai Far said.

 

In his strongest words yet, Pope Leo XIV denounced the “delusion of omnipotence” fueling the war.

 

US sending forces to help mine-clearing on the strait

 

Iran’s closure of the Strait of Hormuz has proved its biggest strategic advantage in the war. Around a fifth of the world’s traded oil had typically passed through on over 100 ships a day. Only 12 have been recorded transiting since the ceasefire.

 

On Saturday, Trump said on social media that the U.S. had begun “clearing out” the strait.

 

“Today, we began the process of establishing a new passage and we will share this safe pathway with the maritime industry soon,” U.S. Central Command commander Adm. Brad Cooper later said. The U.S. statement about the destroyers added: “Additional U.S. forces, including underwater drones, will join the clearance effort in the coming days.”

 

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi had said Tehran was entering negotiations with “deep distrust” after strikes on Iran during previous talks. Araghchi, part of Iran’s delegation in Pakistan, said Saturday that his country was prepared to retaliate if attacked again.

 

Iran’s 10-point proposal ahead of the talks called for a guaranteed end to the war and sought control over the Strait of Hormuz. It included ending fighting against Iran’s “regional allies,” explicitly calling for a halt to Israeli strikes on Hezbollah.

 

The United States’ 15-point proposal includes restricting Iran’s nuclear program and reopening the strait.

 

Israel and Lebanon will have direct negotiations

 

Israel pressed ahead with strikes in Lebanon after saying there is no ceasefire there. Iran and Pakistan have disagreed.

 

Negotiations between Israel and Lebanon are expected to begin Tuesday in Washington, Lebanese President Joseph Aoun’s office has said, after Israel’s surprise announcement authorizing talks despite the countries lack of official relations.

 

But as thousands in Lebanon protested the planned negotiations on Saturday, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said he had postponed a planned trip to Washington “in light of the current internal circumstances.” His absence should not affect talks as the first round is expected to be at the ambassadorial level.

 

Israel wants Lebanon’s government to assume responsibility for disarming Hezbollah, much like was envisaged in a November 2024 ceasefire. But the militant group has survived efforts to curb its strength for decades.

 

Hezbollah joined the war in support of Iran in the opening days. Israel followed with airstrikes and a ground invasion.

 

The day the Iran ceasefire deal was announced, Israel pounded Beirut with airstrikes, killing more than 300 people in the deadliest day in Lebanon since the war began, according to the country’s Health Ministry.

 

Source: AP

 

--Agencies

 

 

 

MostRead
Mobitel 1278
VideoStories
Randoli Perahera lights up streets of Kandy Devotees gather in numbers to witness the procession

Randoli Perahera lights up streets of Kandy Devotees gather in numbers to witness the procession

Over 70% Sri Lankans may back abolishing Executive Presidency; - Ex-Minister GL Peiris on Hyde Park

Over 70% Sri Lankans may back abolishing Executive Presidency; - Ex-Minister GL Peiris on Hyde Park

El Niño Impact: Prolonged dry spell affects 14 districts across Sri Lanka

El Niño Impact: Prolonged dry spell affects 14 districts across Sri Lanka

22nd Constitutional Amendment: Govt. says it has mandate for reforms, ITAK calls for referendum

22nd Constitutional Amendment: Govt. says it has mandate for reforms, ITAK calls for referendum

“Sri Lanka a promising partner for shared growth”  - Indonesian Ambassador to Sri Lanka

“Sri Lanka a promising partner for shared growth” - Indonesian Ambassador to Sri Lanka

Veteran lyricist Ven. Rambukana Siddhartha Thero  laid to rest today

Veteran lyricist Ven. Rambukana Siddhartha Thero laid to rest today

Public pay final respects to the late Nanda Malini Final rites tomorrow

Public pay final respects to the late Nanda Malini Final rites tomorrow

Petitions filed challenging constitutionality of  22nd Amendment Bill increase to 13

Petitions filed challenging constitutionality of 22nd Amendment Bill increase to 13

 Legendary Sri Lankan singer Dr. Nanda Malini passes away at 82

Legendary Sri Lankan singer Dr. Nanda Malini passes away at 82

UN receives public petition against alleged mistreatment of Suresh Sallay

UN receives public petition against alleged mistreatment of Suresh Sallay

Former President Ranil’s facts, data and interpretations are incorrect - Minister Anil Jayantha

Former President Ranil’s facts, data and interpretations are incorrect - Minister Anil Jayantha

Health officials warn public that prolonged heat exposure could be fatal

Health officials warn public that prolonged heat exposure could be fatal

 "Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

"Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

 BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

Lassana Flora