header logo
SLIC
Rhythms of Lanka
Entertainment
Four Antonello da Messina works stolen in Renaissance painter's hometown
Four Antonello da Messina works stolen in Renaissance painter's hometown
Mobitel Inner

Thieves stole four artworks by 15th century painter Antonello ‌da Messina from a museum in his Sicilian hometown, a loss to the island's cultural heritage that a local councillor described as a "blow to the heart".

 

The theft deprives Messina of parts of the only surviving work by the Renaissance painter to have remained in ​his native city, as well as a small painting the Sicilian region acquired two decades ago.

 

The thieves ​entered the Museo Regionale di Messina late on Saturday, while the town was busy celebrating Assumption Day, Messina Mayor Federico Basile told Reuters.

 

As part of the celebrations, the people of Messina escort a ​carriage with colourful statues of the Virgin, Jesus and angels throughout the city during an hourslong procession known as 'la ​Vara'.

 

Enzo Caruso, a local councillor in charge of culture, told Reuters the city had been "truly stunned" by the burglary.

 

"At first, nobody could believe it," he added.

 

Caruso said the purchase of an Antonello da Messina piece by the Italian state for $15 million earlier this year had ​likely put the Messina museum on the criminals' radar. The museum also houses works by baroque master Caravaggio.

 

"This ​was almost certainly a commissioned theft," he added.

 

The thieves stole five wooden panels that made up an altarpiece measuring 170 cm by ‌203 cm, known as Polittico di San Gregorio, but abandoned two panels just outside the museum.

 

Originally comprising six boards and destined for a local monastery that was destroyed by Messina's 1908 earthquake, the altarpiece was the only work by the Sicilian painter never to have left his hometown.

 

The thieves took a fourth artwork from a secure display case: a ​small two-sided painting depicting the ​Virgin with Child and a Franciscan monk on one side and Christ on the other.

 

The work was part of the Wilhelm Soldan collection and was sold by Christie's to the Sicilian Region in ​2003, the year it was attributed to Antonello da Messina.

 

In February Italy's culture ministry ​bought another two-sided painting, known as Ecce Homo, from Sotheby's just before it was to be sold at auction.

 

Born around 1430, Antonello da Messina trained in Naples where he studied the works of Flemish artists, whose influence is apparent in his works. He returned to Messina in 1457, where he worked until 1474.

 

The theft comes days ​after police in the northern Italian city of Parma announced the recovery of three paintings by French masters Paul Cezanne, Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Henri Matisse ​that had been stolen from a museum there in March.

 

Source: Reuters

-Agencies  

 

MostRead
Mobitel Upahara
VideoStories
 72-hour detention order issued against drug trafficker Shiran Basik

72-hour detention order issued against drug trafficker Shiran Basik

 Govt plans to push country towards authoritarianism – Opposition Leader

Govt plans to push country towards authoritarianism – Opposition Leader

 Sri Lanka Navy vessel in distress off Angulana; 11 personnel rescued

Sri Lanka Navy vessel in distress off Angulana; 11 personnel rescued

 Doctors advise public to stay hydrated amid extreme heat in Sri Lanka

Doctors advise public to stay hydrated amid extreme heat in Sri Lanka

Two including mother arrested for brutal assault and abandoning 4-year-old girl on roadside

Two including mother arrested for brutal assault and abandoning 4-year-old girl on roadside

Several politicians express views regarding proposed 22nd Constitutional Amendment

Several politicians express views regarding proposed 22nd Constitutional Amendment

“Justice must never bow to wealth or any influence”  - Additional Solicitor General Dileepa Peiris

“Justice must never bow to wealth or any influence” - Additional Solicitor General Dileepa Peiris

22nd Constitutional Amendment Draft Bill to be tabled in Parliament on August 18

22nd Constitutional Amendment Draft Bill to be tabled in Parliament on August 18

BASL warns of legal action if govt proceeds with proposed 22nd amendment

BASL warns of legal action if govt proceeds with proposed 22nd amendment

Minister Lalkantha says paddy price to remain unchanged during Yala season

Minister Lalkantha says paddy price to remain unchanged during Yala season

President Anura Kumara vows not to exercise powers beyond constitutional limits

President Anura Kumara vows not to exercise powers beyond constitutional limits

President Anura Kumara vows not to exercise powers  beyond constitutional limits

President Anura Kumara vows not to exercise powers beyond constitutional limits

Lanka Coal Company says around 40 coal shipments  scheduled to arrive next year

Lanka Coal Company says around 40 coal shipments scheduled to arrive next year

 President meets BASL members to discuss proposal on judges’ retirement age extension

President meets BASL members to discuss proposal on judges’ retirement age extension

 Former MP Patali Champika says judicial independence cannot be treated like a company

Former MP Patali Champika says judicial independence cannot be treated like a company

Lassana Flora